Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Raw Materials for the Mind, pages 207-245

I can certainly attest to the fact that students tend to rebel, subtly or overtly, against doing any writing that doesn't fit into their idea of what is worthwhile. In fact, many students profess to feeling that all writing in school is pointless. Having experienced this far more than I like, it's certainly attractive to find a possible scenario in which students will be more intrinsically motivated to write thoughtfully and thoroughly.

On the subject of learning how through teaching, I don't really know how to include a wide variety of media in what I do on the computer. However, I am pretty sure that I'll learn to do this soon. I certainly want to make a WebQuest assignment for my classes. My constant complaint of "too much stress/not enough time" applies here again. But, hopefully, I will be able to get this done soon. It really wouldn't be too difficult to make one better than a lot of the WebQuests that I've seen. I will definitely check out the sites and resources listed in our book.

I haven't really had a chance to explore the different styes of webquest sites and the "slate" site discussed, but I am planning on (hopefully) using a webquest in my classes soon. I also plan on looking into the "who else" link through the pinet library for ideas or other links that will be useful to me. I already utilize the pinet library for my own link site.

3 Comments:

Blogger training guru said...

I agree that students do not want to invest in anything outside the norm in school assignments, but I think when they are related to the computer they will be more willing to get involved. I also would like to try the Webquest assignments (when I start teaching) as well.

7:17 PM, January 28, 2006  
Blogger kathyholster said...

Sometimes getting students to invest any time in anything outside of the classroom is a difficult task. Being at the college level I see how students think that all that is necessary to be successful is the inclass work. This is so far from the truth, especially in math. Our math department is piloting some supplemental programs which incorporate technology. The feedback I have heard thus far has been very positive. I am anxious to see how the semester ends.

3:35 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Joanna said...

I really enjoyed the Webquest segment and some of the websites that they provided were quite useful on a personal level. I suppose teachers could really benefit from becoming well versed in this area.

7:07 AM, February 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home