Monday, January 09, 2006

Raw Materials for the Mind, pages 142-180

This is a reflection on a reading from Raw Materials for the Mind: A Teachers Guide to Digital Literacy, by David Warlick.

This section of the book covers three topics:
  1. A strategy for conducting internet searches
  2. How to process information that is found
  3. How to extract information from web pages

The first topic is contained in the acronym, SEARCH:

  • S - Start with a small index search tool such as Yahoo
  • E - Edit your search phrase using Boolean or Search Math
  • A - Advance to a large index search tool such as Google or Alta Vista
  • R - Refine your search phrase using Boolean or Search Math
  • C - Cycle back and "advance" again
  • H - Harvest your selected web resources

The author does a nice job explaining this process, which really does help in navigating the huge maze that is the internet.

The second section deals with how to evaluate information found on the net and how to create authentic assignments using the net.

The third section deals with various ways to access information that has been found on a website. I haven't tried out these techniques. They seem a bit complicated just reading through the techniques. However, I hope that by following the author's step-by-step instructions I will be able to take information from one medium to another one that is usable for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brandon Hennington said...

I have noticed that if a + or - is not specified that a + is automatically added to the URL query.

4:07 PM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Joanna said...

I was about to post for this section of the book, but I decided to check out a few beforehand, and found that you have basically expressed what I was planning to express. Good going; we think alike! By the way, I think we were supposed to just email our ideas to Jo, but I went blog happy and did it on here. Oh well, who does it hurt, right?

2:45 PM, January 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home