Sunday, January 08, 2006

Raw Materials for the Mind, pages 108-142

This is a reading from Raw Materials for the Mind, by David Warlick.

This section describes methods for searching the internet. It defines and describes bookmarks, web directories, search engines, syndication subscription, social software, and netsmarts.

All of these terms describe tools available to conducting internet searches, except for the last one - "netsmarts." Netsmarts is simply being savvy about how to conduct effective searches on the internet.

I had never really considered methodology in how to conduct web searches. Hit or miss/hope for the best describes my (lack of) method in trying to access information. These tools really do help by giving a map to follow; something I have definitely needed.

One of the tools is the PiNet Library designed specifically for teachers to make a useful bookmark device available from any computer with internet access. I went to this site (http://pinetlibrary.com/index.php) and made my own "library." This is a very useful tool which I have already been using.

2 Comments:

Blogger Toni said...

I enjoyed reading your comments about this section. Now that I now more about how to search... I think many of my previous searches have been a waste of time!

5:07 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Joanna said...

It is nice to find out that there is truly an "art" to searching on the internet. I would just cross my fingers and hope for the best. If that did not occur, I would change a word or two and do it again. I am really glad to have found this information.

9:52 AM, January 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home