Saturday, January 21, 2006

Oversold and Underused

It is difficult for me to say whether or not computers in the school for which I work have been underused. I'd have to say almost certainly they have, but there are so few computers available that it makes it hard to tell. The only classroom that seems to have computers for students' use is (drum roll) the computer class. There is a computer lab in the library that can be reserved for your class, but it seems that most teachers just don't bother with the hassle. You can also check out a computer to use in the classroom, but this is also a hassle because the method for showing the screen to the class is problematic. Of course, I am so frazzled that my level of not wanting "the hassle" is higher than some other teachers.

To deal more closely with the article, I am certainly not surprised that computers haven't made any "fundamental change" in students' performance on test scores. I am told that the level of student motivation at my school is widely recognized as very poor. It seems that there is a culture of apathy that the teachers and administration have been trying to grapple with for years... and no one has found a workable solution.

I feel that many teachers simply do no feel that computers greatly enhance students' ability to learn whatever it is that is considered central to that class's curriculum. In response to "more professional development," this seems to be the answer to every teaching issue. Frankly, I am tired of professional development that is not sequenced in an order that is helpful to me. "Professional" development seems all over the board; and so scattered that I don't know what to do with it.

2 Comments:

Blogger training guru said...

I too cannot say whether computers in the school are working, not having a first hand knowledge. I also agree with your comments concerning the teachers feelings towards computers enhancing a student's ability. I think technology is going to be more and more prevelant in the profession but the current use doesn't seem to be working and like the author stated, it will take more than professional development and training teachers for it to be compeltely benefical to the learning process.

9:14 PM, January 28, 2006  
Blogger Joanna said...

My experience in the classroom comes from having children in school. I do know that they are not on computers daily while they are at school. My son is in high school and he does not have access to a computer on a weekly basis. He could put himself in a situation to use one, but he does not have a class where one is utilized. Are they Oversold and Underused. I think in some circumstances, yes, but others situations, no.

7:06 AM, February 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home