Monday, November 14, 2005

In Considering Integrating Technology in the Classroom

In considering the integration of technology into classrooms, I love the comments given by Governor Angus King of Maine. His quote is as follows, "In many ways, this is a ridiculous debate. Of course every child in America is going to have a digital device at his or her desk [in school]. Of course. We'll all get together at the nursing home and laugh about that quaint debate we had... about laptops (April 26, 2005)."

For those who believe otherwise about this inevitability, I provide this quote from the head of the U.S. Patent Office circa 1900, "Everything that can be invented, has been." I am quoting from memory so don't burn me in effigy if I have misquoted slightly... I will double check my written source shortly.

Though I appreciate his comments and agree with his foresight, this does not mean that I feel comfortable or adequate in this technological future. I am a cowboy who doesn't feel all that great about those cars racing by on the new highway. I already feel overwhelmed by being a new teacher with a beautiful new baby girl (8 months - thanks for asking) with extracurricular theatre and speech/debate and in graduate school and my wife's in nursing school and I commute 2 hours a day and... my Mom taught Honor's English and will kill me if she sees this horrible sentence out there for all the world to read.

Anyway, Good wishes for everyone out there

W>R>V

3 Comments:

Blogger old teacher said...

So many people stick their heads in the sand so that they don't have to face the advances of technology. They will be left behind .... probably screaming. This is definitely a way to discriminate against those of lower income (by denying them the technology that is affordable) Parents will buy NIKE's but not educational necessities.

7:10 PM, November 14, 2005  
Blogger training guru said...

I also agree with Mr. King's statement and his initiative. I think it is essential to give our students the most current "knowledge" on digital literacy. I would like to see what the results of this forward thinking will be in a few years. Was it worth the expense, etc. I too consider myself on the outskirts of technology and know enough to "get by" in the workplace and classroom. For a baby-boomer, I am hanging on by a thread and am a digital immigrant.

7:11 PM, November 14, 2005  
Blogger Toni said...

I definently understand how you feel. However times are changing. Did you know that in Japan you can hold your cell phone up to a coke machine and it will give you a coke and charge your cell phone bill for it?

7:12 PM, November 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home